The unimaginable has happened. You or your loved one has been injured in an accident. It might be due to a motor vehicle accident, bicycle accident, medical malpractice, recreational accident, slip-and-fall, or some other incident. You need a personal injury lawyer to guide you through the traumatic experience and help secure your future.
If you live near Toronto there are seemingly countless options for personal injury law firms and lawyers. The sheer number of choices can be overwhelming. If you go online and type in the following search terms, or some variant of these terms, you will find pages upon pages of search results:
- Personal injury lawyer Toronto
- Car accident lawyer Toronto
- Medical malpractice lawyer Toronto
- Personal injury law firm Toronto
- Car accident law firm Toronto
- Personal injury lawyer near me
- Car accident lawyer near me
Where do you go from there?
Many of the lawyers and law firms listed in your search results will have nice websites. The websites will likely have photos of smiling lawyers (or perhaps very serious lawyers if that is the look they are going for). The websites will likely state that their firms have secured millions upon millions of dollars in settlements. They may also have catchy slogans like “no fee unless we win” or “get the compensation you deserve”.
Unless there is something that personally speaks to you about a specific website, it may be hard to distinguish one lawyer or law firm from another.
So which personal injury law firm or lawyer should you hire?
There isn’t a “one size fits all” approach to finding a lawyer. Every lawyer is different, just as every client is different. What works for one person may not work for another. Also, past results do not guarantee future success.
Ultimately, you should look for a personal injury lawyer that makes you feel comfortable and confident based on your specific needs. Your case may take years to settle and can at times be stressful. It is therefore important that you find a lawyer you can trust to guide you through the process.
Here are some questions you can ask to help make an informed decision when selecting a lawyer:
- How many years of experience do you have?
- Have you handled cases similar to mine?
- Have you taken a case to trial?
- Will you personally handle my case? If not, who will handle it and why?
- Who will I speak with on a day-to-day basis?
- Do you only practice personal injury law or other areas as well?
- What differentiates you from other Toronto personal injury law firms or lawyers?
- Can I speak with any of your current or former clients to get a reference?
- How and when do you get paid?
- How does your fee structure work?
It is also recommended that you meet with several personal injury lawyers in order to find the best fit for you.
At Beyond Law, our lawyers are experienced in handling serious personal injury cases including car accidents, motorcycle accidents, bicycle accidents, medical malpractice, statutory accident benefits (SABS) claims, long-term disability claims (LTD claims), slip-and-fall claims, and wrongful death claims in Toronto and throughout Ontario. If you or a loved one has suffered serious personal injuries due to someone else’s negligence please contact us and we would be pleased to assist you. If we are not the best fit for you then we will help you find someone who is.